Wake Up Call


The sunrise splashed it's blinding light out of the pitch dark of the night and onto the glimmering sand. It was mornings like these that made him never want to leave this place. With his feet almost touching the oncoming waves, he watched silently towards the shining blue water.

... Quite a beauty, isn't it?

The startled man looked towards the woman just behind him. She was quite beautiful ... which made it even stranger that she would come up to him just like that. He quickly realised that, after all, they were the only two people on the beach that day, so maybe she was just bored.

... Sorry, do I know you?

She smiled ...
... I'm not sure, do you? ... want to take a walk down the beach with me?

The Sun was climbing fast ...
... Sure ... why not?

As they walked down the beach, feet splashing in the salty water, he started talking.
... I used to do this everyday as a child you know ... lucky brat... Uhm, do you come here often?

She smiled again...
... Actually, I do come here almost every day  ... I'll miss this place. I'm leaving tomorrow and I'm not sure I'll be able to come back.

The glimmering sand turned purple as the Sun started going down on the other side of the horizon. He turned towards the sea and watched the glowing red ball setting down, wondering when time went by so quickly.


 
... Oh? ... I'm sorry to hear that ... we just met and I wish we spent more time together.

... I made some new friends, I'm going away with them. There's room for one more if you want to come with me... 

He smiled.
... Me? Where would we be going?

He started having a growing feeling that they had this discussion a hundred times before and he was just one step behind.

... Yes ...  I feel like maybe I should 
... All you have to do is really want to leave this place. I can help you with the rest ... Do you want to come with me?

He could not explain why but he knew that he had to go with her. He knew it was the last sunset he would ever watch on this beach.

... You still haven't answered me ... have we met before?

... Yes

His eyes were stuck on the red Sun, hypnotized by its beauty.
... So ... why don't I remember you?

... You never do, Jaden

He quickly turned towards her but she was gone, and so was the Sun, vanished behind the horizon.

And then it was pitch dark all over again.

Previous Story Table of Contents Next Story

No comments:

Post a Comment